Monday, September 26, 2011

Shopping with my Tween, AKA: Modern day Torture

It's that time of year again when it's cold enough to dig out jeans.  I've come to truly dread this.  Not b/c I'm afraid *my* jeans won't fit, but b/c I *know* Aidan and Tanner's jeans won't!  Tanner is the poster child for stretchy elastic waist band athletic shorts and pants, so must be FORCED into trying on jeans at all.  By "forced" I mean I let him pick out some new stretchy athletic shorts first and then casually slip the jeans in there and hope he won't notice.  It doesn't work.  Aidan, however, likes jeans.  So, you'd think it would be easier. Umm, not so much.  Aidan is 12.  The age of eye rolling and pure exasperation with me over any and everything.  He reluctantly let's me choose a few sizes and as we head toward the Target dressing room, he looks around and says, "Is this the ONLY dressing room?"  "Yes, Aidan, it's for everyone.  that's why it's between the men's and women's sections."  Huge sigh and looking around to make sure there are no other tweens to spot him going in to said very uncool dressing room, and we're in.  At least, I thought so.  He takes the jeans in and closes the door in my face.  "OK, well, I still need to see them when you get them on."  He groans.  I wait (patiently), hear zipping and wait some more.  "Do they fit?"  No response.  "Aidan, do they fit?"  Jeans fly over the top of the dressing room door and hit me in the head.  I'll take that as a "no."
I miss the days of strolling through the infant and toddler section and just grabbing a 3T and KNOWING it will fit.  Perhaps I should invent a new sizing system just for tweens.  That way I could just walk through and grab what I needed for Aidan and leave his sarcastic, unappreciative butt at home.  His size would be called "12CBB" (can't be bothered).  What would your tween's size be?

No comments:

Post a Comment